Monday, July 27, 2009

Church Stuff: Baptism

Church stuff is a new section of "All These Things" that deals with the basics of Christianity and the common practices of the modern Christian church. I am of the Baptist Denomination. Therefore, most of what I write concerning specific practices will be based on what I was taught and what my particular church believes. I will try my best to be correct in my information. However, any input is appreciated. I will never delete a comment or question unless it is deemed disrespectful to God or lewd in wording. Tough Questions are welcomed!

What does it mean to be baptised? Getting baptised is simply a physical demonstration of your spiritual acceptance of Jesus as Lord of your life. It is what we do in the modern church to show that a person has been saved. When you join the church as a member, you can join in three different ways:

1. You may transfer your membership from your current church to your new church by having a letter sent from your old church stating that you are a member in good standing.
2. You may join the church based upon your prior Christian Experience.
3. You may join the church by being baptised into the body of Christ. This is the most common way for new believers.

Baptism is considered one of the two ordinances of the church; the other being communion (the Lord's supper). According to the Great Commission (stated by Jesus) in Mathew 28:19-20: "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Jesus himself was baptised by John in the Jordan River as an example to everyone.

As I stated earlier, getting baptised is the physical act of showing that you have accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of your life. You should be baptised as a result of your salvation; not to receive salvation. Here are some common questions concerning baptism:

Q. Is there a minimum age to be baptised?
A. No. I have been taught that as long as the candidate for baptism can express a belief that Jesus is the son of God, that He died for our sins, and that God raised Him from the dead; the candidate is eligible for baptism.

Q. What if you accept Jesus Christ, but never get baptised? Do you still go to Heaven? Or do you go to Hell?
A. For this answer to this question, I use the scripture reference of Jesus' conversation with one of the thieves on the cross. While He was being crucified, Jesus was asked by one of the thieves to remember him when He (Jesus) entered into His kingdom. Jesus said to him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise." The thief was saved right there on the cross without being baptised. It is because of this passage that we believe that as long as you accept Jesus as Lord, you will be saved.

Q. What is considered a proper baptism?
A. This is a question that has divided churches for years. I remind you that what I am about to say is based upon what we believe in our Baptist church. We believe that a proper baptism consists of the Pastor or minister in charge taking the candidate completely under water and bringing them out of the water. This is symbolic of two things. It represents the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. That is: Jesus physically died, He was buried in the tomb, and He was raised from the dead. It also represents for us the dying of the old sinful man and the raising up of the new believer in Christ. Our method is called a full immersion baptism. Other methods include pouring water over a person's head while they are in knee-deep or waist-deep in water; or sprinkling drops of water onto the candidate's forehead.

I do want to stress the fact that baptism is a show of faith, not a requirement for salvation. Everyone who believes should be baptised. But the most important part is that every person should believe. Check out this link for more information. Remember that I don't know everything. Look it up for yourself and ask lots of questions!

Peace and Love,

Rev. Mike


Digg!


Back to Homepage

8 comments:

  1. Rev. Mike,
    I have been a lay-minister and quasi-missionary while a sailor in the US Navy. I was asked yesterday, and complied, to baptize a fellow sailor.

    So my question is...will his baptism be acceptable to churches?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan,
    I am also a Baptist pastor, and I can tell you most Baptist churches would be fine with your baptism, so long as it was by immersion. Some churches do require that a licensed minister perform the ordinance in a church.

    I refer to Scripture. When Phillip met the Ethiopian eunuch, he said to Phillip, "See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?" 37 Then Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." And he answered and said, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." 38 So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him." Acts 8:36-38 (NKJV)

    If your man was saved, and there was water, nothing prevented him from being baptized. Uhh...in my humble, but accurate opinion.

    Blessings,

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dan,

    Thanks for the question. I think I have an answer, but I want to clarify something first. Were you authorized or ordained by a home church to perform baptisms as a lay-minister or missionary?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Steve,

    Thanks for jumping in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the record, I am licensed but not ordained. And on my certificate it states that I cannot perform a baptism or give communion unless I have been given permission by my Pastor or church. That is the reason why I asked if Dan had been authorized by a home church.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check out this link:
    http://www.gotquestions.org/baptize-who.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, the simple answer is kinda. I am not licensed through my current church in San Diego. I do hold a license from my church in Girard Kansas. I don't know if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The reality is that some churches might give you a hard time about doing it. I personally think you did the right thing. I read your post about it on your blog and it sounds like the sailer was a true believer. I would rather get in trouble for trying to do the work of God then for not trying to help my fellow brother in Christ on his/her walk. As long as your intentions are pure( and I believe they were!), keep following the guidance of the Holy Spirit and carry yourself accordingly.

    ReplyDelete