Thursday, July 9, 2009

Christian Rapper of the Week: Da T.R.U.T.H.


video credit to 77fattyboy77


Da T.R.U.T.H. is an acronym for "To Reach U Through Him".
Check out the Lyrics:Man Up Lyrics


I want to let you know the reason why I am pushing Christian Rap so much lately. I grew up on rap music. My favorite rap artists from the past were NWA,Ice Cube, Public Enemy, Ghetto Boys, 2 Pac, and Dr. Dre(the Chronic). I still have some of those artists on my IPOD. But when I listen to the lyrics to those old rappers, I think about the things I was going through during those years of my life when those songs were popular. And I realize how dark those days were for me. I tried really hard to get into contemporary gospel music. Although a majority of the contemporary gospel music is spiritually correct; it just doesn't do it for me. Christian rap has allowed me to feed my spiritual man with positive lyrics while still being able to feel the beat and nod my head. So now I listen to Christian Rap Artists like Eric Cross, Da T.R.U.T.H., The Cross Movement, Lecrae, Tripp Lee, Sho Baraka, Tedashii, Flame, and many other very talented artists. That's why I listen to Christian Rap. And I'm not slamming contemporary Christian music. I think that it is very good for worship service and for casual listening. But I don't want to sing Amazing Grace in the car while I'm driving to work. Just like I don't want to listen to jazz, or R&B while driving. It makes me fall asleep. It's great music; but it's just not what I want to hear at the time. Country music(as another example) is full of extremely talented musicians. But you will never hear it playing on my radio. It's my personal taste. I just wanted to say that.

Peace and Love,

Rev. Mike

Updated 10/14/09: There are a lot of ministers and churches that are either pro-christian rap or anti-christian rap. As I have read through the blogs I have seen many strong opinions for both sides. I advise you to use this litmus test to determine whether something is truly of God:

1. Does the music that you listen to or the T.V. show that you watch bring glory to God?

2. Do the artists seek to exhalt and edify God or themselves?

3. Do you feel that God would be pleased in the fact that you expose your spiritual man (or woman) to these platforms of expression?

Govern yourselves accordingly...



Digg!


Back to Homepage

No comments:

Post a Comment