Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Lifetime of Ministry

This posting is about a friend of mine, one of the associate ministers at my church.  His name is Rev. W.  His favorite name for everyone is "My Dears".  Another favorite phrase of his is, "Alright, alright, alright..."  I must admit that I don't know exactly how old he is or how long he has been in the ministry.  I'll try to give you his resume as it has been told to me, and as I have seen for myself. 

I am told that he was a Pastor of a church in Kyle, Texas for well over twenty years.  When I first met Rev. R.W.  around 1998, he was already the Minister of Pastoral Care at my church .  The minister of Pastoral Care's responsibility is to visit the sick and shut in members of our church.  Rev W. has always been a valuable asset to the pastor because he was able to spend time with those who were unable to attend church on a reagular basis.  Over the years, he has prayed with countless members and their families.  He has been there for weddings, funerals, and baby dedications.  He became such a comforter to the membership that he was usually the first one requested by the family in the event of a crisis.  I can remember visiting older members on the days that he was unable to make it out and having to console them not on the fact that they were sick or shut-in, but due to their concern about Rev. W.  It's a wonderful testimony of his life and his ministry. 

Unfortunately, Rev W. is unable to drive out to visit the members anymore.  He is (I believe) over 90 years old, can no longer drive, and is currently living in a rehabilitation hospital.  He is not one that visits the members, but he is the one that the members will go to visit.  God is not through with his ministry yet.  He is now teaching a bible study class to his fellow residents in the rehab hospital.  He is continuing to be a servant even now, and he is still a blessing to others.

I used to wonder why someone would stay in the ministry their entire life. I wondered what the point was.  I now see I was blessed to watch Rev. W and others serve proudly and diligently for decades, without celebrity status or exceptional wealth.  God has allowed me to see the benefits of serving others and the blessing of seeing them grow and mature as they go through trials and successes.  The blessing comes in seeing someone else grow closer to God so that they can be what He would have them to be.  The second blessing is in knowing that God allowed you to be a part of that growth process.  Rev. W has been a part of the growth process for a lot of members (including me) over the years.  And he has shown me how to be a better comforter as I continue my own ministry.  For that I am eternally grateful.  Thank you Rev W, for helping me to grow stronger in and for Christ.

Peace and love,

Rev. Mike

Digg!

Back to Homepage

5 comments:

  1. Great insights!

    God has greatly gifted you
    I enjoyed visiting your blog
    God Bless;

    http://westbob.blogspot.com/2010/02/encourager-part-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bob. To God be the glory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really enjoy your blog.

    I hope you don't mind i added it to my readings.. feel free to add me back if you wish to.

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dominic,

    I look forward to reading your blog.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. good point
    as christians, we are all called into a life of complete ministry. from the day we surrender, untill the day we are called home

    ReplyDelete