Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Have You Hugged Someone Today?


I had a friend tell me something that I never forgot. They said that if you can get at least three hugs a day from three different people, it would help you to have a better day. I grew up in what others might call a "touchie feelie" family, so this concept makes perfect sense to me. This may not have been the case in your house, but I want you to try this experiment with me for a couple of days. I think that it may help you improve your well being. Here are a few start up rules:

1. Let your first hug be at home. The first person you should hug is your spouse.
2. The second person you should hug is your child (or children if you have more than one).

For most of us, that will get you two to five hugs. If it does, then you are done for the day. If it doesn't, then please use the following list as a guide for your next "huggie". Please note that you are the "hugger".

1. You should hug the last person you had a disagreement with. This gives you a wonderful opportunity to rebuild relationships.
2. You should hug any friend that is going through a rough time. Sometimes I don't know what to say when a friend is going through something. So I just ask them if they need a hug. Sometimes they say yes. Sometimes they say no. But the gesture on my part lets them know that I am there for them.
3. You should hug total strangers. But you have to be careful with this one. If you are not absolutely sure that the Holy Spirit has told you to hug the stranger, you could be subjecting yourself to a embarrassing or possible life threatning situation. If you live in Texas like I do, then you need to be aware that the people in this state carry mace, tasers, firearms, and pitbulls without fear of prosecution.
4. You should definately hug grandparents. Grandparents LOVE hugs. It doesn't matter if they are your grandparents or someone else's. Everyone is grandmommy's baby.
5. Lastly, you can hug cousins, nieces, nephews, and other miscellaneous family members. These are reliable huggies because, they have to put up with you. Don't worry if they frown when you hug them. The truth is that they really want the hug. They just have a reputation to protect.

If all else fails, and you still need that last hug to complete your set, come and find me. I can always use a good hug.


Peace and Love

Rev. Mike


Digg!

2 comments:

  1. I really like this blog! The best language is the positive non-verbal kind...a smile, a kiss, the soft gentle caress of holding one's hand...it always brightens my day! Jenn

    ReplyDelete