Sunday, February 8, 2009

Father Figure

Everything I ever learned about being a man, I learned from my brother. Pure and Simple. My brother taught me how to tie a necktie, stand up tall, and shake hands like a man. I later practiced that firm grip on him, the older men at church, and all of my sister's boyfriends. Those were the little things that he taught me. He took great care to ensure that I knew Basic Manhood 101. But everything he taught me as a kid paled in comparrison to what he taught me as an adult.

As an adult, he taught me how to change my thinking about people, how to be a good husband to my wife, and how to be a good father to my son. The interesting thing about it is that he didn't know he was teaching me these things at the time. He was just being the man that God commanded him to be. He lived his life and took care of his family. He did this as a physical provider, but more importantly, he did it as a spiritual leader, a nurturer, and an encourager. He never tries to force his hand, but always looks for an opportunity to give advise when needed. He is my pattern as a husband, a father, and as a man of God. I just wanted you to know that... Thanks J.

Peace and Love,

Rev. Mike


Digg!


Back to Homepage

1 comment: