Sunday, March 29, 2009

Compassion

Matthew 25:37-46: "Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

There was a time in my life that I did not own a car. During those years, if I had to go somewhere, I had a few choices. I could ride the bus, or I could walk. And whenever I walked, I always kept an eye out for someone that I knew who could give me a ride. Sometimes I saw people that I knew. Sometimes I did not. But over time I began to make a difference between those people that I knew and between those people that actually liked me. The people that I knew would wave at me and continue driving. The people that liked me would actually stop and offer me a ride. As I look back on those days, I have had to change the labels that I placed on the people. Looking back, the difference was not between those persons that knew me and those that liked me. The difference was between those that had compassion on my situation and those that did not.

What is compassion? By definition, compassion is a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for someone who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering. It is a two-part definition. Having compassion on someone is not simply crying for them because of their unfortunate situation. It is the recognition of another person's problem followed by the action to help solve the problem. You see, those persons who offered me a ride actually felt enough sympathy for me to want to help me out. I'm not making this about Mike. I am using this example to give you the chance to reflect. I saw someone that I knew from the local grocery store that I shop at. He is a cashier there and we always speak to each other. He was walking along the street and I waved at him as I passed by. Suddenly, I rembered the many people who waved at me and kept going when I was walking. It made me turn back around and make sure that he was okay. Turns out he was just getting some exercise. But I felt better because I took the time to check on him. I am working on trying to be a more compassionate person in life. Not just so it can make me feel good about myself. But because it is my duty as a Christian to have compassion on my fellow man (or woman). Think about the people you have come accross in the past week. Did you miss any opportunities to exercise compassion? Just so you don't think that I always get it right, I'll tell you this story.

When I was in college, I ran into a family friend that didn't have a car and needed a ride home on a fairly reagular basis. Bear in mind that the gentleman lived less than two miles away from me. I had an opportunity to show compassion to him... and I failed to take advantage of that opportunity. I do regret that I didn't show more compassion to him. But I keep that incident with me so that I do a better job of showing compassion in the future. As you go through life this week, don't worry about the opportunities that you missed to show compassion. But don't forget them either. Use them to remind yourself next time you run into someone in need. Then thank God that he has given you another opportunity to show His love for your fellow man. Then simply act on your compassion. Be advised, your next opportunity may be closer than you think.

Peace and Love,

Rev. Mike


Digg!


Back to Homepage

No comments:

Post a Comment