Monday, March 23, 2009

Finding Balance In An Unbalanced World

Ecclesiastes 3:1 says, "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven". The next seven verses lists the seasons. Verses 2 and 3: "a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build (niv)". These are the words of Solomon, wisest king to every rule Israel. Yet these words were penned by Solomon at the end of his life, after he had made some terrible mistakes. It is because of Solomon's disobedience and mistakes that the entire kingdom of Israel fell into captivity. Unfortunately, Solomon gained a lot of his wisdom due to the penalties for his mistakes. Read Chapter 11 of I Kings to get the lowdown. The book of Ecclesiastes is Solomon offering an opportunity for others to learn from his mistakes without having to go through them.


Let's look at this from the viewpoint of our own lives. What season are we focusing on? Are we neglecting our families to pursue a promotion at work? Are we unproductive at work due to outside interests? I have discovered something about people that I found to be pretty interesting. Many of the people that I know have not been able to balance the many activities in there lives. I know people that are successful at work, yet have been unable to maintain a stable relationship with anyone outside of work. I also know people who have great family relationships, but are always late to work, unproductive while they are at work, and the first one to leave work. I know people who don't give any time to focus on their relationship with God, and I know people who spend so much time at the church that they grow to resent it.

It's very difficult to find balance between work, family, God, and self. I know, I've been there. I constantly find myself trying to find and maintain the balance in my life. But I want you to know something. It can be done. Unfortunately, I can't give you the recipe to balance your life. It is something that you have to make up for yourself. But I can offer you this advice. First, make a list of all the things that you "have to do". Then, make a list of all the things that you "want to do". It is important to write everything down so that you can see both lists together. Then, after you have written down all both lists, I want you to do something else. I want you to eliminate all the things that make you feel unbalanced out of each list. Pray about it first, then do it. Even if your list is incomplete, it will start you on your way to getting some of your balance back. Try it... It just might make you reconsider what's important and what is not so important.

Peace and Love,

Rev Mike


Digg!


Back to Homepage

No comments:

Post a Comment