Sunday, April 19, 2009

Hello and Goodbye

Today has been an interesting day. I had the opportunity to experience life and death in less than 24 hours. My wife and I are Godparents to the second child of two of our best friends. So this morning we attended the baby dedication at their church to make it official. For those of you that are not familiar with baby dedications in the Baptist church, it is based on I Samuel 1:1-10. Tonight, I have just returned home from the memorial service of one of the mothers of our church (RIP mama G). In the morning, I had an opportunity to celebrate a new life and all the potential that children have. This evening, I was equally blessed to celebrate the life of a warrior for God that "fought the good fight". I think it is fitting that I pause to reflect on both.

They say that every time someone passes away, somewhere a new life is coming into existence. The new life helps to give back some of what you lose in the old life leaving. How ironic that the new life I celebrated was in the morning and the old life we celebrated was in the evening. In a way, today symbolized the way we can view our own lives. The morning is like the beginning of your life (the birth). The evening is like the end of life (the death). We, as well as everyone else are in some phase of our lives. Weather you are in the morning, noonday, or evening of your life, you have an opportunity to make good on all of the potential that you had when you were born. No matter where you are on your journey, the next step you take is a step toward fulfilling the promise of God in your life. What have you done to ensure that you are fulfilling your potential? What have you done to hinder your progress? I know that I can look back over the past year of my life and see the good and bad decisions that I have made. But today has helped me to realize that no matter what we are doing, we only have so much time to do it in. I ask again... where are you in the day of your life? What are you going to do with the time that you have left? I hope that you can think about it and push on toward what God has planned for you. Don't know what God has planned? Just ask. I know He wants to tell you.

Peace and Love,

Rev. Mike


Digg!

No comments:

Post a Comment