Saturday, October 17, 2009

Litmus Test

What is a litmus test? I checked with dictionary.com and found the following two definitions:

1. In chemistry, a person uses litmus paper or solution to test the acidity or alkalinity of a solution.
2. A crucial and revealing test in which there is one decisive factor.



picture credit: 1995-1996 NT Curriculum Project


It is the second definition that I want to address. My original intentions for this blog were to say the things that I felt like I didn’t have the platform to say in other areas of my life. I felt and still feel that my life experiences are beneficial to other people that may be going through the same things, and feel as though other people don’t understand them. And I know that other people have been blessed by reading the blog just as I have been blessed by writing it. That is a good thing.

But there is also a dangerous aspect to blogging that I have to watch out for. In my efforts to promote the blog, gain more “hits”, and build up my statistical numbers, I find myself constantly being reminded by God that this effort should not be about me. It should be about Him. I want gain one million hits on the blog. I want to alltheezthingz.blogspot.com to be on the top of every search engine. I want fifty comments on every post. But is that what God wants? If I receive a million hits and a book deal from this blog, will that bring glory to the Kingdom? That is a question that I don’t have an answer for yet.

But I do know this. I have to hold up this work to a litmus test every time I put up a posting.  Does what I am doing bring glory to God or to me? If it brings glory to God; then great.  If it does not; then I run the risk of getting into trouble.  I read a statement recently that said that a minister should never say thank you if someone compliments them on a sermon. They should simply say “Praise God!” or “Thanks be to God!” This is because it immediately gives credit to the proper authority. If I preach a sermon well, it is because God allowed me to properly articulate His words. If I write a profoundly intelligent blog post, it is because God has guided my fingers. And If I screw something up, it is because I got in my own way.

So to everything you do from this day onward; give God the glory. Hold your words and deeds up to His litmus test. Then check out the results.  The answer you get will reflect your true intentions. Let every work of your hand bring glory to God. 

Peace and Love,



Digg!


Back to Homepage

11 comments:

  1. Thanks, Rev. Mike for the reminder! Even though I know this is my problem as well, and even posted on this issue of mine, I STILL needed another reminder. I forgot that fast and still keep looking at my Sitemeter stats all the time. I don't have enough stats in Google analytics yet!(Or is it Google Webmaster? Whatever!) LOL I can console myself with the knowledge that at least I wont pay $9.95 a month for Sitemeter's super package of stats! Brother, even if you did get to the top of Google's search engine, you still would feel better about just encouraging someone like little ole me! Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's cool!

    oh and did ya take that picture?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anna. I have the free sitemeter as well. It is interesting to see my stats. I check them everyday. Also I love your post about angry bloggers. It is the men as well as the women that are writing with venom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jel. I did not take the picture. I got it from this site: I went back and added the link. Forgive me if I offended you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often feel the same way you do, wanting to be more prominent. It's a tough place to be really. I want to succeed, but if I succeed alone, it's not really success. Guess we just have to surrender one day at a time. Don't really know what to do about that I guess. Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rev Mike, thanks. It's sad that so many people are so angry! I guess it's better for them to get some of that anger out in blogs than to allow it to build and then, well you know what can happen. Brother, you know I like your blog so I nominated you for the Kreativ Blogger Award! The logo is a bit feminine, but you deserve the award for being Kreativ with your blog! Come over to my blog again and see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ya didn't offended me, was just asking!

    I just like pictures like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was asking about the picture on you sidebar,
    the clouds and the water! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I took that one when my wife and I were on vacation. You can copy it if you want. I saw some of the pictures on your blogs. Are you a professional or an enthusiast?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just like to take pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Jel- Thanks for visiting me. Come back again.

    @Dan- good to see you again brother. Everything is one day at a time.

    @Anne- Thank you for bringing your energy to my house! I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete