Thursday, October 1, 2009

This is How Your Bible is Supposed to Look

I dropped off my son at school this morning and was driving home when I saw a book lying on the inside lane of the road. As I was driving past it, I realized that it was a Bible. Now, I couldn't very well just leave it there, could I? I immediately turned around and went back to retrieve it. It had been run over by at least one car (see tire mark on picture below), and about 60% of the pages had been crumpled. Fortunately, there was a name and phone number inside the cover so I took it home to see if I could unwrinkle some of the pages and call the owner. After all, a soldier needs his sword! I showed it to my wife and you would have thought that it was a wounded animal by her reaction. She is a self-proclaimed book nerd (she said I could call her that), and she was visibly upset over the fact that it had received so much damage.

I called the owner and left them a message that I had found his Bible and that he could call me if he wanted it returned to him. Then S. and I sat down and smoothed over the pages as much as we could. As we were doing so, I noticed that this Bible was pretty well used. Yes, it had received damage from being in the street, but that's not exactly what I'm talking about.  I noticed that there were several pen marks, notes, names, and phone numbers that had been written in it as well. You can look at the pictures that I took of it and see that many of the markings were made with different types of pens, pencils, and markers. Also, I figured that the owner must have had this one for a while because there was a date beside his name that suggested that he received in back in 1992. Now I don't know this for certain, but I think it is safe to say that this Bible has been read, studied, and used quite a lot over the last sixteen plus years. You just don't see that type of use in a Bible that stays in the closet collecting dust.

Well, the gentleman called me and we arranged to meet at a location so that I could give it back to him. He was extremely greatful and gave me a big thank-you. Mission accomplished. I was so impressed by the look of his Bible that I went home to check mine out to see how my "usage" was going. I came to the conclusion that i need to be reading more! How does you Bible look? Is it a coffee table decoration? Or is it a well-worned weapon used to complete the full armor of God?

p.s.  God gave me a whisper with the pages that I photographed.  Check out the following verses and see if they don't bless you:

Romans Chapter 1:1-25 (The Gospel Exalted)
1 Peter 4:12-14 (The Christian and Suffering)
Hebrews Chapter 1 (The Son is God's Revelation)

You can click on the pictures to enlarge them.










                              Tire track.  Had to remove some phone numbers on this one.







Romans Chapter 1:1-25 (The Gospel Exalted)


1 Peter 4:12-14 (The Christian and Suffering)


Hebrews Chapter 1 (The Son is God's Revelation)


Peace and Love,


Digg!


               

7 comments:

  1. My Thompson Chain looks like this too, minus the tire tracks and the fact that it is black and not brown. My newer everyday Bible isn't nearly as worn, but it isn't 14 years old either.

    My grandma used to say, "A Bible that is broken is a sign of a heart that isn't." That's only partially true of course, because God loves a broken and contrite heart, but the point is that a heart is in good position if a Bible is this used. I would say the owner of this Bible is probably doing well.

    And I know it sounds like I'm bragging in the first paragraph, so let me just say that I'm not that good of a Christian. I'm not a superman. Just comparing the use of the Bibles, that's all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I am betting the gentleman you returned it to was grateful for the return of his treasures! Not just the treasure of God's word, but the treasure of all he has learned in his studies. Good job guys! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Dan. I'm going to use your Grandma's quote at some point in the future.

    @ Michelle. He was smiling from ear to ear. It made me feel good to get it back to him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rev Mike, your finding this Bible on the road is affecting me on a few levels that I can't put into words right now! It seems that God was at work in this entire incident somehow!! I'll have to meditate on this (not to sound so super spiritual) Praise the Lord, for He is Good and His Mercy endures forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Bible has alot of markings (pencil and highlighter), but it has a cover... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Touching (post)story. My reaction to the Bible laying in the street would be to drop a few tears. I can't stand to see someone lay their Bible on the floor.
    Then I would have gotten joy out of knowing that someone really have been studying.

    Just from that ,I know this person felt lost. Because I have this one certain Bible that I can go straight to whatever scripture I want in the blink of an eye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Princess,

    Thanks for dropping by. I agree with the position that you should avoid placing your Bible on the ground whenever possible. That's why I couldn't keep driving after even thinking it could have possibly been a Bible. It would have been like seeing an accident on the road and not at least checking to see if the people involved needed me to call 911. Come back and visit again!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete